Friday, January 27, 2012

Grahamstown

Yesterday Debbie and Kathleen drove me to Grahamstown so I could get settled before I start my student teaching on Monday. The drive takes about an hour. It reminded me a little of home because there were cow pastures on both sides of the road the entire ride. We stopped at this place kind of like a farmers market that has all kinds of vegetables, food and candy. We got lunch here. I had a pie with chicken in it and a Slush Puppie. The pie was delicious, tasted almost like chicken and dumplings, minus the dumplings.  

 

I also tasted, “bill tongue” there (not sure how you spell it, but thats how they say it). Bill tongue is like our beef or deer jerky. It comes in these huge pieces and then they slice it off in thin pieces. It was really really good.

 
  
Grahamstown is called the city of saints and schools because there are so many. They have big universities and schools of all types for all ages. They have boarding schools, all boys and all girls schools, private schools, regular schools, and preschools. Its mainly known for being a Universtiy town with a lot of college students and night life. Guess you could kind of compare it to Athens, but its not really the same to me. They have lots of big stone churches too. So far I've saw a Catholic, Baptist and Methodist church.

While I'm here, I'll be staying at Professor Jean Baxen's garden cottage behind her house. There two other girls that have already started doing their student teaching. They are from Ashford University in Ohio. Their names are Holly and Sean. They didn't know each other before this trip even though they go to the same college. I'm sharing the cottage with Holly, she is doing middle grades at Kingswood, where I will be. Sean is in the house with Dr. Baxen, she is doing early childhood at another school. The cottage is small, but nice. It has a room with two twin beds, one closet, one bathroom and a kitchen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment